Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Luck of the Irish...

Boy what a week last week was. Instead of writing one insanely LONG post, I have written about each day already and have decided to treat this next week as if it was last week, and post the writings as they happened over the last 7 days. However, right now I don't want to write about that, I want to write about something different. 

Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day. I do have some Irish in me, as my great grandmother was a full blooded, hot tempered Irish woman from Dublin, and even though I did inherit some of her temper, this so-called luck that should accompany that must have passed me by. I have horrible luck, well actually I don’t believe in luck, but even so… its bad.

But then I sit here and think not about all the horrific and challenging things I have had to deal with in my life, but all the great things that I have had. I have a wonderful family, albeit a big, dysfunctional, crazy and loud family, I still love them so much and can not imagine my life without them. I have a roof over my head, a car (well will have one when I get it back from the shop), food in my fridge, heat from the cold, and two puppies to snuggle with and cheer me up at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, and who could forget the person I am most thankful for… my Chief. He is amazing, there is no other word for him. I am in constant awe of him and my respect for him grows daily. He knows me better than I know myself and without him, I can honestly say, I would not be here today. He has opened my closet and has seen my skeletons, but they didn’t scare him off. Instead, they brought him closer to me. The bond I share with him is truly a gift from God and I thank him every day for sending him to me.

So, in fact maybe my great grandmother’s luck of the Irish did pass on to me, because after looking at all that, I feel like the luckiest person alive. I hope that all of you take a moment to look at all you have to be thankful for as well and realize that maybe St Patrick’s Day should not be about the green beer and the shamrocks, but another day like Thanksgiving, where we reflect on our lives and realize we are all lucky. I know I am. 

~cas[C]

No comments:

Post a Comment